You have any questions? Then you can find the most important answers here or contact our service hotline.
The Smart Friends system lets you control your home via smartphone or tablet.
Compatible with roller shutters, awnings, inside and outside lighting, the heating system, ABUS Smartvest Security Systems with smoke detectors, cameras and smart radio sockets can be operated, controlled and connected to perform automated actions.
This creates more security and provides increased comfort and energy saving options in your home.
Updates are regularly carried out for the app and for the Box. The updates are automatic but can also be carried out manually:
If you want to equip your home with the Smart Friends System, you will need a WiFi-enabled router, the Smart Friends-Box and the Smart Friends App on your smartphone or tablet, with the operating system iOS 8.0 or higher or Android 4.4 or higher.
In order to use the Smart Friends system, the Smart Friends Box must be connected to the router via LAN cable. Afterwards, you can log on to the Smart Friends Box with your smartphone or tablet, and start the initial setup. The command transmission from smartphone and tablet to the router via your own in-house WiFi.
The router sends the command over the LAN cable to the Smart Friends Box. The Smart Friends Box translates the command into the respective radio system of the 4 manufacturers, and sends the commands to the respective products. You can configure and control the Smart Home System via the App on your smartphone or tablet.
The basic version of the Smart Friends App is available free of charge on Google Play and the App Store.
Licenses are assigned to the Smart Friends Box, not individual users. Therefore, you only need to buy one license per box. Each person who has access to the box automatically has access to the licenses.
To control your SmartHome system from outside your home, you will need a router with an Internet connection, a mobile Internet access on your smartphone and/or a tablet, and the enabled "Remote Home" function in your Smart Friends App. This function allows the access to the Smart Friends System via the mobile Internet. With the smartphone or tablet you can then control the devices at any time and from anywhere.
In the "Extensions" menu item of your App, the "Remote Home" function can be purchased. You will be guided to the online shop of the App through a link. After six free trial months, you can purchase a license for € 9.99* for the "Remote Home" function for 12 months. The license is released within a very short time (however, it may take a few hours). Regardless of the number of users, only one license is required per Smart Friends Box. For the Invoicing it is required to conduct a registration in the online shop.
The data for the invoice is stored on a separate server in Germany, and is not brought into connection with the identification number of Smart Friends. The identification number of the activated Smart Friends is stored on a second server in Germany, through which the commands are forwarded. Only the command transfer is conducted over the server. Your data will still be stored locally on your Smart Friends Box. This ensures a maximum degree of anonymity and security. We and our partners have committed ourselves to the confidential treatment of the data, and not to evaluate it, and not to make it available to third parties.
The license agreement is not automatically extended! You will receive a notification with the possibility of renewal before expiration of the license. If you do not wish to renew the contract will expire. The "Remote Home" function can be terminated immediately at any time, and can therefore be switched off immediately. After the deactivation, the credit for the remaining time will expire.
12 months € 9.99*
*contains 19% VAT
Note: For external control, the Internet access must be activated on the smartphone or tablet. When using the Internet, additional costs may arise due to the Internet provider or service provider.
No, there is no SIM card slot.
There are several ways to make access difficult for third parties:
1) Lock SIM card: Once the smartphone or tablet is lost, you should immediately lock the SIM card. This prevents third parties from accessing the smartphone and thus to your data.
2) Screen lock Smartphone: In general, we recommend that each user locks his smartphone or tablet with a screen lock (pattern, password). Thus, third parties must would first have to crack the pattern or password in order to access the App.
3) Password Smart Friends App: For a higher degree of protection, the automatic login should be omitted when opening the Smart Friends App. This means a higher protection is provided if the password has to be entered each time the user logs on. Thus, third parties must would first have to crack the App password in order to access the Smart Friends App.
4) Delete User/Admin: If another user has admin rights (i.e. not only able to use the App, but also to manage or change it), then this user can delete the user account of the user whose smartphone or tablet has been lost. Thus its access to the Smart Friends Box will be blocked.
5) MAC Authentication: In order to generally prevent access by unknown devices, it is possible to implement a MAC authentication. I.e. you store a "list" of devices on the router, which have permission to access the router. If the smartphone or tablet is lost, the stored MAC address* can be deleted. Thus, foreign persons will not have access to the router and accordingly not to the box. However, setting MAC authentication is somewhat more complex.
A MAC address is a 48-bit long hardware address to uniquely identify workstations, servers, and computers connected to an Ethernet / LAN network. The MAC address can not be changed.
6) Function lock for Outdoor Control: In order to block access via mobile Internet, the function Outdoor Control can also be terminated. Local control through in-house WiFi remains available. Important here: When the function "Outdoor Control" is canceled, the mobile Internet accesses of the other users is also blocked. In addition, the remaining balance will expire. If this function is to be maintained for all users, the methods described above should be preferred.
Yes. The "Push message" function can be viewed and managed in the menu under "Extensions". We offer the "push message" function to the user free of charge, i.e. no SMS or other costs will arise. It is important that the user has the "Messages" service enabled on his smartphone or tablet.
The data will be retained on the Smart Friends Box, as well as on the ‘Ready for Smart Friends’ products.
After a power failure, the Smart Friends Box will restart in its previous state, meaning all Smart Friends products will retain their data. Some products also have a battery-powered current buffer, including the ABUS Smartvest alarm system. This way we can ensure that security-related solutions like intruder protection or smoke detectors also work without power.
The four partner companies have developed a Smart Home system that saves data locally on the Box and not in the cloud. The data stays with the users. For the Remote Home function (for access away from home Wi-Fi), a server in Germany is used that complies with current security standards. This server only forwards commands. This server only forwards commands. The data will continue to be stored on the Smart Friends Box and not on the server. Our system is regularly tested by an independent testing institute.
As a user you can increase the security of your system with the following measures:
The Smart Friends system is configured for private or home use.
However, we do not exclude commercial use. When used in a business premises, the range, amongst other things, must be taken into consideration. The partners’ wireless systems are configured for ranges inside private homes that may be exceeded in company buildings. Furthermore, steel walls or iron girders, which are commonly used for hall construction, can interfere with the signal.
This system has no limits or restrictions. Speaking from experience, at least 200 devices can be included without any problems.
The various wireless systems are configured for use inside buildings and have suitable ranges for this. The wireless range inside a building can be influenced by structural conditions.
For this reason, the Smart Friends Box should not be placed near any sources of interference such as large metallic objects and electronic devices. Mirrors, floor heating, metallised steam foils in prefabricated buildings and multi-glazed windows can also interfere with the signal.
Only ‘Ready for Smart Friends’ products can be paired with the Smart Friends Box. For existing or installed products, users can purchase retrofit solutions. If a standard tubular motor has already been installed, the regular roller shutter switch can be replaced with the Schellenberg wireless reception switch.